Established in 1872, Ocean View School District is one of the oldest in Ventura County. It began with a one-room schoolhouse on the corner of Olds and Hueneme Roads, on property purchased from county pioneer Thomas Bard for $20. Students who wanted to continue their education beyond the eighth grade rode their horses about 45 minutes to Oxnard High School.
In 1952, what is now Mar Vista Elementary School was built to accommodate a growing post-World War II population and a housing expansion at Point Mugu Navy Base. The original one-room school was finally closed in 1959. Laguna Vista Elementary School was soon built to accommodate the continued growth in enrollment from the naval base. Later, the District added two more schools and a child care center.